rants and chatter designed to impress my new boss...and you of course

Friday, June 5, 2009

present

So when I started this blog thing, I had no idea how it would turn out.  As of now, I haven’t written about anything serious (mainly b/c I think it would be lame and cheesy, and oh well, I think my 3 followers and Daimal are the only people reading this anyway) but thanks to the June gloom, I can’t shake the following topic:

            It all started with a message I heard in church last Sunday.  The pastor described how the Bible uses two words for time: chronos and kairos.  Chronos is the typical use of time: seconds, minutes, days, etc.   Kairos has to do with the idea of the fullness of time, a time when God is present and active, or when chronos time stands still and we remember the moment forever.

            Earlier this week, over coffee at our kitchen table, I was telling my roommate Heather about a time in high school when I served a detention with my best friend because I didn’t want her to have to go by herself.  I realized that since she has passed away, every chronos moment we shared together is now a kairos moment to me. There isn’t a place in the world I’d rather have had lunch than the P4 math portable that day.  It was just a normal hour, but the memory is extremely valuable to me now.

            As I continued to think about this throughout the day, I realized that that kitchen table coffee (and tea for Heather) was actually a kairos moment too, if I chose to see it that way.  Heather’s friendship means the world to me! Every minute I get to spend with her is a complete gift.  I need to stop going through life distracted and realize that I am constantly in the midst of kairos moments; where God is present if I am looking for Him. He can redeem my mundane moments, and any minute spent with someone else is precious.  I don’t want to wait until someone is gone to realize how lucky I am to be sitting across the table (or school desk) from them.

Closing my phone and laptop,
Cindy

p.s. no more serious posts for awhile, promise

Photo by Ashley Rose Photography, www.ashleyroseblog.com

3 comments:

  1. so true! I got misty eyed... i love you girls! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you cindy and heather!!! that is how i feel about all our time in newport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather BattenbergJune 15, 2009 at 11:27 AM

    I feel the same way, hours go by at that table and I don't even notice. Newport will always be special. Love you Cind!

    ReplyDelete