rants and chatter designed to impress my new boss...and you of course

Monday, May 4, 2009

shes got game

Every culture seems to have their own way of helping their young ladies find, attract, and keep their desired male.  Last Saturday, I attended a quinceanera for one of the girls that I mentor, and learned a little about their way of doing things.  On their 15th birthdays, girls are presented to the community of men as "of age", and pranced around in a huge dress surrounded by a harem of suitable bachelors.  Let the games begin!Well, needless to say, I'm not Hispanic;) and I feel that my, for all intensive purposes, white suburban culture has taught me to be a little less obvious.  We've been told that "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach".  For whatever reason, I have always resisted this idea.  If we went to college together, and you were a girl baking for a boy, I was most definitely talking bad about you behind your back.  I have always believed that I would never bake to get a guy's attention, and that he would love me for my mind and personality.  Well, last week I found myself baking up a frenzy, and sinking for the first time to these 1950's tactics.  I searched high and low for award winning recipes, and even did a practice run in order to impress a guy (well his family really).  I figured I may as well wave my progressive white flag and follow in the steps of my female predecessors.  As I left the house that evening, feeling like my pies where the stuff 50 year anniversaries were made of,  I was sure that I was finally going about this the right way.
Would you believe that no one from his family ever even tasted my baked goods?  Nope, not one freaking bite.  What did I walk away with?  Oh, a job offer, which one can only assume I earned with my mind.  
How do you like them apples?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment